Sunday, July 22, 2012

Basic Bruschetta

Recipe: Bruschetta
Source: The Orange Strainer
Time: 40 minutes total
Ease: 1
Taste: 7
Leftover Value: 7
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

Yesterday came and went without any recipes posted.  I have no excuses.  I had a very bum day overall.  However, I've allowed myself one day per week to not post a recipe, usually it's been Sunday, but clearly this week, it was yesterday.


I was in the mood for bruschetta recently and thought, "It can't be that difficult".

Boy, am I glad when I'm actually right.

The following is my basic bruschetta recipe.

You'll need:
-(4) Roma tomatoes
-Half a white onion
-(10) Basil leaves
- (2) T Olive oil
-Dash of balsamic vinegar
-Salt and pepper, to taste
-(1) Garlic clove
-(1) French baguette


 If you live in New Jersey, you're in luck, because, like me, you'll have your choice of the best possible tomatoes in the country.

If you don't, whatever you can get your hands on will work, but I feel sorry for you.


Dice the tomatoes.


Slice the onion in half and save the other half for the salad you're going to have for lunch tomorrow because you're planning to be super healthy this week.

We'll see about that...


Dice it up.

Cry a little.

No, a lot.

Darn onions.


Mix the onion and tomatoes together gently.


Basil!  Love love love!  I've been using it pretty often this summer, so I'm happy.


Slice the basil up julienne.  This is about as advanced as my cooking terms get, I promise.  

All you have to do is roll the basil up and then cut.


You should come out with cutesy thin strips of basil.


Toss the basil on top of the onion and tomato mixture.


Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of oil.


Then give a good dash of balsamic vinegar.


Season with salt,


and pepper.

Add a clove of minced garlic.  Pretend you see me doing this, because clearly, there is no photo of this.


Give one more light mix of all the ingredients.  Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.  Trust me, you'll want to! 


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  While you're waiting the torturous 30 minutes, you can prepare your French baguette.  Mine is curvy.  I'm not sure why...

Slice the baguette into quarter-inch or half-inch thick pieces.


Spread them out on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.  Flip them over, and drizzle again.

Bake for 5 minutes, then flip the pieces over and bake for 3 more minutes.  If you like your bread to be a little more crunchy, keep it in a few minutes longer.  I like mine a little on the chewy side, so I took it out when it had just gotten toasty on the outside but still had a little softness inside.


Top your bread with a scoop of the brushetta.  Pop that whole bad boy into your mouth and sigh.

Repeat as many times as necessary.

Don't worry, no one is judging you.

Remember, these are vegetables, so this recipe has hardly any calories!  At least, that's what I tell myself...



No comments:

Post a Comment