Sunday, July 1, 2012

Or. E. Oh!

Recipe: Fried Oreos
Source: The Orange Strainer
Time: 5 minutes for prep, 2 minutes per batch (Total depends on how many batches you do)
Ease: 5 (Due to hot oil. Some people are total wimps when it comes to hot oil!)
Taste: 10
Leftover Value: So good, no leftovers!
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

I've always been a fan of the funnel cake. It is the epitamy of festivals and carnivals of America.

However, the fried Oreo is a delicacy that I've never before had the pleasure to encounter. Correction, never had the desire to dish out $1.50 for.  For only one.  I just can't bring myself to do that.  So, I made my own. 

A thing of true beauty.

My family does deep fry every Friday night.  Meaning that we deep fry hot wings, fries, chicken, etc.

We call it Deep Fry-day.

Get it?

Don't judge.

Although we've been doing this for about eight years now, we've never made our own funnel cake or deep fried Oreos.  Turns out it's actually a very easy process and you really don't even need a deep fryer.  It just makes it feel a little more authentic.

All you need for Deep Fried Oreos is:
  • Either a deep fryer or a skillet loaded with hot vegetable oil
  • 15.25 oz box of Oreos
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1 tablespoon of oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 and 1/2 cups of Bisquick (or more)

If you use any other pancake mix it will not work.

Just kiddin'.


It helps if you set up a little assembly line like so.
Cookies, paper towel lined plate for done cookies, and batter for dipping.

Whisk the liquid ingredients and eggs together. Add Bisquick until the mix becomes fairly thick.
Make sure when you dip the Oreo into the batter that it sticks to the Oreo and doesn't completely drip off.


Otherwise they will look like this.


See the one up close to the left.  That one definitely did not have enough batter.  Still delicious, just not perfection.

I'm all about perfection in my cooking.




When your Oreos are properly coated, put four or five in the fry basket at a time.  Cook for approximately two minutes total.  Halfway through the cooking time, flip the Oreos over with a fork (thanks for the tip mom!).




Make sure your dad, and other awesome family members, are there to enjoy.



New things excite my family.

I make no apologies.


The last, most important part, is to toss some powdered sugar into paper bags.  Put two or three hot fried Oreos into the bag and shake 'em up until they are coated with the sugar.


For extra fun, mix it up a little.  In addition to the regular classic Oreo, we also fried up peanut butter Oreos and, my favorite, El Fudge cookies by Keebler.  They were outstanding.  Seriously, I couldn't even speak, I just made happy noises as I munched away.

I want more.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment