Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Chicken Tacos....fried

Recipe: Fried Chicken Tacos
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food From My Frontier
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/my-brothers-chicken-tacos/
*Note: The recipe in the book is much more concise than this post online.
Time: 1 hour total
Ease: 5*
Taste: 10
Leftover Value: 10 (Heat it up in a toaster oven!)
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

*The only reason I give this recipe a 5 for ease is because it involves hot oil.  No matter what, there are some people who just can't help but get stuck in harmful circumstances when hot oil is around.

Not me, I promise.  I only burnt the tips of my fingers once or twice while making this recipe.

Okay, maybe three times, but no more than that!


I love this recipe because it reminds me of a chalupa from Taco Bell.  

And I love Taco Bell, I don't care what anyone says about it.

You can't get that crisp bubbly shell without doing one thing: frying the life out of that bad boy!  

I did make one substitution, okay, more than one.  I used flour shells instead of corn because hubby wrinkles his nose at corn tortillas.  Also, I cut all the spices in half yet used 3/4 of the amount of called for chicken.

Now that my conscience is clear...  


This may look complicated, but it is a very simple meal to make.  Again, you must be proficient at working with hot oil.  This isn't for cowards.  Yet, even the hot oil part is pretty simple.  The taco is already assembled with the cooked chicken inside.  You simply place the taco into the hot oil, let it fry about 30 seconds, and then flip it.

It's the flipping part that is dangerous. 


The end result is absolutely rewarding.  I topped my taco with loads of sour cream (no, I don't feel guilty about that), romaine lettuce, and some tomatoes.


That is not one bite, I promise.  (While some of my family members may disagree, I'm pretty sure my mouth isn't quite that big).


No comments:

Post a Comment