Thursday, July 5, 2012

Deviled English Muffins

Recipe: Make-Ahead Muffin Melts
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food From My Frontier
Time: 1 hour total
Ease: 2
Taste: 4
Leftover Value: 6
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain!

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, hands down.  I wish I could say it was dessert, but I don't think that really counts as a meal.  So alas, it is just breakfast.

Unfortunately, I don't often get creative with breakfast.  I like pancakes, eggs, and bacon.  That is my go to for a great breakfast.  Always has been always will be.

Of course, that really isn't what I eat for breakfast on any ordinary day.  An ordinary morning involves me running around my kitchen throwing a bunch of options for breakfast and lunch into my purse as I zoom out the door guaranteed to make it to work on time just by the skin of my teeth. 

In case you're wondering, pancakes, eggs, and bacon don't throw well into a purse.

Anyway, these 'Make-Ahead Muffin Melts' seemed like the perfect thing.  You just mix up bacon, hard-boiled eggs (which, as you know, I can make on my own now), cheese, and a few condiments.


Like so.  The awesome thing about this is that you can go ahead and refrigerate this mixture and come back to it hours later for the next steps.

At this point, I noted to myself how strangely similar the scent and look of this mixture is to another popular egg recipe.  Yet, I thought that somehow the goodness of bacon would overpower and make me love this recipe.


When ready to eat, you simply plop the mixture onto halved English muffins and then broil 'em for a few minutes.  It really couldn't be easier.


Even now they still look scrumptious.  However, here was my problem with them.  It tasted like a glorified deviled egg.

Do you like deviled eggs?

If you do, then don't listen to me.  You'll probably love this.

I do not like deviled eggs.  I like hard boiled eggs, and all the other elements that go into deviled eggs, but not deviled eggs.

I took one bite and thought to myself, "Oh my, this tastes exactly like a deviled egg".  Then I thought, "Where's the bacon?".  So I went in for another bite hoping this time that the only thing I would taste was bacon.

And that's when I decided to microwave some french toast sticks and call it a day.

Hubby was kind enough to eat all of his.

He likes deviled eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment