Monday, July 16, 2012

Candy from Canada

I brought home a bundle of delicious treats from our trip to Canada.


It's a good thing I have restraint and haven't eaten all of this yet.

(This picture was taken a few days ago, so you don't really know that I'm telling the truth).

Our stop in Buffalo introduced me to a candy specific to Buffalo.  I happen to be a sucker for anything new or unusual.  I'm the person that advertisers love.  All I need to see is the word "new" and I'm already hooked.

I have problems, I know.


1. Sponge Candy 


"Sponge Candy" is a treat that was born in Buffalo, NY.  According to my "Visit Buffalo Niagara" Magazine it is one of the four signature foods of Buffalo.  It is sold in Watson's Chocolates and Fowler's Chocolates.


The description of sponge candy on Watson's website says that it is, "Crispy, tender chunks of spun sugar, carefully caramelized, then drenched with......chocolate".  The picture in the magazine put me in mind of a Three Musketeers bar, however, that is definitely not what it tastes like.


Like they said, the center is crisp.  Yet as soon as you crunch down on the inside, it melts away in your mouth, almost like cotton candy does, then fills your mouth with a combination of sugary sweetness and chocolate.  



I got the milk chocolate, and it was divine.  Hubby bought the dark chocolate.  The amount of chocolate on the outside was thick, a perfect combination to the amount of crisp sugar on the inside.

The rest of my treats came from a shop called, "Chocolate World" in Niagara, Canada.  Who couldn't find something fantastic in a place called, "Chocolate World"?  What I especially loved about this place was that they had treats specific to Canada (like the one you're about to see), but they also had treats from all over the world (like the items you'll see later).


2. Maple Cookies 

Maple cookies are exactly as they sound.  They are cookies made with 100% pure maple.  They actually smell stronger of maple than they taste.  I got the regular cream filled cookies and the chocolate coated ones.

I really thought I was going to dislike the regular ones (which is why I only bought the pack that had three cookies).  I bought them because I thought, "These are cookies of Canada, so I must try them, no matter if they taste good or not,".  However, the cream was smooth and the cookie and cream meshed together beautifully.


The chocolate covered cookie tasted very much like a shortbread cookie dipped in a thick textured chocolate.  The maple taste was much stronger with this cookie.

Of the two, I surprised myself and actually liked the original maple cookie best.  And now I'm kicking myself for only having bought the tiny box of three.

I guess I'll just have to go back real soon.
                        

3. Chocola's

This was hubby's chocolate pick.  It was basically like a Pringle, but of chocolate, and imported from Belgium.  Each piece consisted of smooth, dark chocolate with a scattering of rice crisps.  It was like a very delicate Crunch bar, but dark chocolate, and of a way higher quality than Nestle.

What I particularly liked about these was that they were very light, yet, eating two or three at a time was enough.  I didn't feel the need to pound them down like I might with a bag of Hershey's Kisses.


(Disclaimer: I have never ever pounded down a whole bag of Hershey's Kisses....in one sitting).


4. Mountain Range Fine Swiss Milk Chocolate Bar


As a avid fan of Toblerone, I had to purchase a bar of Swiss milk chocolate.  It was pure goodness.  The only way it could have been better would have been if it was accompanied by almond nougat and honey.  But in the department of pure milk chocolates, it was that in it's simplest most delicious form: pure milk chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment