Monday, July 23, 2012

Truffle-like Chocolate Ice Cream

Recipe: Chocolate Ice Cream
Source: Taken from Woman's Day S'mores Ice Cream Cake recipe
http://www.womansday.com/recipefinder/smores-ice-cream-cake-recipe-wdy0812
Time: 15 minutes to make, 8 hours to freeze
Ease: 1
Taste: 4
Leftover Value: 8
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain.


If you are the type of person who can eat an entire pint of ice cream in one sitting, this ice cream is your savior in the fact that it is very rich.  Therefore, there is no way a pint of it can be downed within mere minutes.

Trust me, I'm one of those pint eating people.

I try not to be, but Ben and Jerry and their countless flavors have control over me.


I liked the idea Women's Day had of a "S'mores Ice Cream Cake", but I just wanted to try out chocolate ice cream before going crazy with it.  The ingredients are exactly the same as for vanilla ice cream with the addition of bittersweet chocolate.


Melting the chocolate was extremely difficult because I really just wanted to grab a box of cookies, a bag of pretzels, oh, just about anything edible that I had lying around, and dip it in the melted goodness.

Now, perhaps this recipe didn't turn out so great because the chocolate was still a little warm when I put it in the mixer.  I'm giving the recipe the benefit of the doubt.


It just didn't look as inviting and ice cream like as the vanilla did at this point.


Yet I carried on anyway.  My container was a little small so after trying to put the lid on and smushing a lot of ice cream over the sides, I opted to throw a little of the ice cream into a small container.  (Which I then test tasted every so often during the day).



Final result, the chocolate ice cream tasted like a cold truffle.  I love truffles, but, not when I want chocolate ice cream.  It was very rich, very chocolaty, but not chocolate ice cream.  I added a little dollop of vanilla ice cream and drizzled some caramel on top to dull down the richness.

It worked.

Except for when I ran out of vanilla ice cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment