Monday, July 2, 2012

Homemade Pop-Tarts--pop not included

Recipe: Homemade Pop-Tarts
Source: Idea from Better Homes and Garden, May 2012 issue
Time: 1 hour total
Ease: 5
Taste: 6
Leftover Value: 9
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain*



I love making things on my own that can be easily bought already made off the shelf at the supermarket.

Makes me feel a little independent.

So when I saw a little blurb in Better Homes and Garden about making homemade tarts for Mother's Day, I got a little excited inside.  

What you'll need:
-Packaged pie crust (I used one box, but if you're making for a lot of hungry people, you'll definitely need more)
-Fillings; I used strawberry preserves, hot fudge topping, and marshmallow topping (I recommend Fluff instead, the Smuckers marshmallow topping was very runny).

Icing ingredients (not pictured, so just imagine them):
-Powdered sugar
-Milk
-Honey
-Vanilla
-Cocoa


First, lightly roll out your pie crusts.  Don't roll them out thin!


Cut pie crust into approximately 3x3 inch squares or smaller for bite sized pieces.

Mine are all kinds of shapes and sizes because I like diversity.

Note: Leftover scraps of pie crust will not combine well, so make the most of what you've got.


Spread a layer of filling inside.  This one is strawberry.  It's for my hubby.

Make sure to leave about 1/2 inch of space around the filling.


Ah, there is mine.  Smores!  Yummmm!

Resist the urge to continuously dip your finger into the hot fudge jar for a sampling.  This is not good for your thighs, take it from me.


Cover the coated piece with an identical piece of pie crust.


 Press edges together with your fingers first and then with a fork.

Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.  Flip the pop tarts over, then bake for 3-5 more minutes.  Try to keep the edges from burning.

Let cool.  Making icing as they are cooling.

Mix together:
1 and 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar
3+ tablespoons of milk
1 and 1/2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla

(For chocolate, add a little less than 1/4 cup of cocoa)


This was vanilla first, then transformed into chocolate.


Decorate with sprinkles, if you're into that sort of thing.


 Or let them be bold and beautiful.


*I'm letting this recipe down the drain because it is not really cost effective and takes a lot of time and yields a small amount.  With one box of pie crust I made 6 big tarts and 4 minis.  (And yes, they disappeared quickly).

However, I will say there are two reasons to make this recipe:

1. If you are interested in cooking your own tarts to avoid preservatives that regular tarts have.  In that case though, you might want to make your own pie crust too.

2. For fun.  This is a great recipe to do with a group of kids or with your friends.




1 comment: