Wednesday, July 11, 2012

So Smooth Smoothies

Recipe: Healthy Smoothies
Source: The Orange Strainer
Time: 5-10 minutes
Ease: 1
Taste: 6
Leftover Value: 9
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

My soon-to-be SIL*, Mallory, and I made smoothies the other day.

*What is a SIL?  Well, if you ask my other SIL, Samantha, it means "Sister-I'd-Like-Ta..." but that's just a bad inside joke.  In all seriousness, it just stands for Sister-in-Law.  But it's so much more fun to say.


I'm not really a smoothie person myself, but this thing is really beautiful.  And it was super simple and super healthy.  


We started by throwing a bunch of fruit that was nearing (extremely nearing) expiration.  That would be the strawberries on the bottom and the bananas on the next layer.

You can't see it, but those bananas have some pretty brown spots.

I begged Mallory not to put them in there.

But she did.

Then, we threw in a handful of ice and some frozen blueberries.  (We didn't have any fresh blueberries that were nearing expiration).


We pulsed it in the blender for a bit.  This is around the halfway point.  It took a while to get it blended real good.


This is seriously the healthiest I've ever been with a smoothie.  Usually, I at least throw in the fattiest yogurt possible (because it has the most flavor, of course) or, if I'm feeling particularly devilish, some vanilla bean ice cream.

But going healthy never hurts.  Mallory even had the leftovers for breakfast the next day and said that it was pretty fantastic leftover.



No comments:

Post a Comment