Thursday, July 19, 2012

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

Recipe: Vanilla Ice Cream 
Source: Woman's Day, August 2010 
Time: 10 min to make, 8 hours to freeze
Ease: 1
Taste: 9
Leftover Value: 9
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer:  Keep it in the Strainer!


Wow, wow, and again, wow.

As I was making this I kept thinking, "It can't be this simple.  Something this simple cannot possibly be wonderfully delicious, or even just slightly okay,".

So I prepared myself for extreme disappointment.


Three simple ingredients.  That's all!  

You can see why I was a little hesitant. 


And boy, am I glad I have a Kitchen Aid mixer!  I threw the ingredients in, turned it on, and let it do its thing.  In five minutes it went from this....


...to this!  


Peaks of creamy, smooth, heaven on earth.

At this point, if you want to add anything like fudge, cookies, peanut butter, go ahead and knock yourself out!  Just fold it in lightly with a spatula.


The hard part was that at this point I had to put it in the freezer for eight hours.  Eight hours!  That's a whole day of work.  That's a good night of sleep.  That's a drive from New Jersey to Canada!  Such a very long, long time to wait.

I surrounded it with some of my favorite things to keep it company: bacon, beef, and pork chops.  Yes, life is good.


After eight hours, it was done!  If you look closely, you'll see the spot in the left corner that I kept going to every hour on the hour to see the progress of the freezing.

And I can absolutely confirm that eight hours is definitely needed for ice cream perfection.


Hubby commented that it tasted like Edy's Slow Churned ice cream.  It put me in mind of Halo Farm's vanilla ice cream.

I topped mine with hot fudge and sprinkles.  Next time, I'm definitely going to try my hand at chocolate ice cream.

I think maybe I'll do that tomorrow...


1 comment:

  1. I am trying this with cherries folded in. I'll let you know how it tastes. Side note: Before freezing this would make a great whipped cream topping. Soooo tasty already.....I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete