Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Recipe #55: Enchiladas

Recipe: Simple, Perfect, Enchiladas
Time: 1 hr 20 min
Ease: 5
Taste: 4
Leftover Value: There were leftovers, but no one ate them!
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain

I always get excited over enchiladas and then I realize a few bites in that I'm not a big fan.

Particularly of beef enchiladas.

The chicken and cheese ones tend to be my favorite, but even with them I find I have my limits. 

You'll have to keep this in mind as you read my review of this recipe. 

I think my issue is the corn tortilla and the enchilada sauce.

But enough about me and my issues.  Let's talk about PW's Simple, Perfect, Enchiladas!

There is a long list of ingredients for this recipe.  First, there are about six ingredients that go into making the enchilada sauce (primarily, you guessed it, Mexican red sauce). The meat mixture contains four different ingredients, and then there is "the rest"--six more ingredients that don't fall into the sauce or the meat category.

Despite the long list of ingredients, the sauce and meat are fairly easy to throw together.

It is the assembly that changes this from being "Simple" enchiladas to "Simply Impossible" enchiladas.

At least for me.  Perhaps you might purchase more cooperative corn tortillas.

Several of my tortillas did this to me after I fried  them "just until soft" as PW directs:

IMG_1693

I assume I let them cook until a little too soft, but how can one know when a tortilla has reached true 'just softness'. 

While it was aggravating, I pressed on.  I had extra tortillas.  I could spare a few to tear.

IMG_1686

Oh yes.  After frying the tortillas, then they must be dipped in the enchilada sauce.  

That was loads of fun, as you can see.

When it came time to fill the tortillas, I realized just how small corn tortillas are and that their size does not equate to the amount of filling I wanted per tortilla.

IMG_1690

Folding them and arranging them in the pan led to a few more tears.*

*That is tears as in the verb- tear: to pull apart.  However, the noun- tear: the fluid appearing in or flowing from the eye as a result of emotion, especially grief, was close to occurring.

IMG_1691

In the end, they looked as good as any beef enchiladas I have ever ordered in a restaurant.

IMG_1696

And the taste was pretty much equal as well.

IMG_1699

Meaning that at first bite I thought they were positively amazing.

IMG_1700

But halfway through I realized I didn't like them.

It was then I wished I had a chicken enchilada to start eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment