Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Recipe #52: Blackberry Cobbler

Recipe: Blackberry Cobbler
Time: Prep: 15 minutes Bake: 1 hr
Ease: 1
Taste: 9
Leftover Value: 6
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

IMG_1664

I find it crucial that you understand that I am not a fruit dessert lover.  This must be completely understood before I discuss this blackberry cobbler.

Until my twenties, fruit and dessert were completely separate items.  Combining the two was complete and utter nonsense.

IMG_1645

Pioneer Woman's fruity dessert dishes have brought me into a completely new realm of desserts.  My days of chocolate desserts only have become compromised.

I love it.

And I hate it.

Now there are so many more choices to think through when ordering dessert at a restaurant.

IMG_1651

This blackberry cobbler is amazing.  Even my brothers who were also raised with the no-fruit-for-dessert mentally have all been wow'ed over this dessert.

My favorite thing about it is that it is insanely easy to assemble.  The dry ingredients are mixed, then the wet are tossed in followed by the berries.  The only problem is you need to be patient during the hour of baking time.  For me, that ends up being time for me to catch up on my dirty dishes!

IMG_1653

You'll have to turn a blind eye to all the sugar that is used in this dish, because it is quite a lot.  

It is dessert, after all!

Though it is called "Blackberry" cobbler, PW says at the end of the recipe that you can use blueberries, peaches, raspberries, etc.  My first time making this cobbler, I used blueberries.

It probably won't surprise you that in addition to not being a fruity dessert person, I also hadn't explored the depths of the category of berries.  Cherries and grapes were the closest I had ever come during my childhood.  Blueberries seemed right for this recipe.  They are often used in muffins, so I imagined they would be perfect in this recipe.

And they are.

Though the blackberries were nice, I still prefer the blueberries. 

The dish might not be aesthetically pleasing at first...

IMG_1656

But after you serve it to your guests like this...

IMG_1660

They'll ooh and aah without even taking their first bite.

Please, please, please--never ever ever serve this without vanilla ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment