Thursday, August 9, 2012

Ratatouille

Recipe: Ratatouille
Source: The Orange Strainer, inspired by a combination of Anne Burrell's Ratatouille:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/ratatouille-recipe/index.html
and Emeril's Ratatouille:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-essence-of-emeril/ratatouille-recipe/index.html
Time: 35 minutes total
Ease: 3
Taste: 6
Leftover Value: 4
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

Don't worry, despite all my posts about food made by other people I have still been cooking at home.

Earlier this week my friend, Anita, came over and brought me a basket of fresh veggies from her garden.  She has the most brilliant garden I have ever seen.  First, she has a concord grape vine that is lovely and a little bistro table and chairs set up looking directly towards her garden.  There is a windmill in the center of her garden and a even distribution of vegetables, spices, and flowers.  Every time I walk through it with her I say that I'm going to start one of my own, then I never do.

My goal next summer will be to change that.


I got quite the assortment of veggies and fruit from her.  The zucchini that is hiding under that tiny squash was super huge!

To mix things up a little and make my life a little more adventurous, I decided to try to make Ratatouille.  Of course, I've been wanting to make Ratatouille ever since I first saw the movie by the same name.

Seriously, who didn't want to make Ratatouille after that movie?

Here's what you need:
-Olive oil
-1 Onion, diced
- 1 Tsp garlic
-1 Green pepper, diced
-2 Medium sized tomatoes, about 1 cup, diced
-1/2 Cup water
-1/2 Tsp parsley
-1 Cup zucchini, diced
-1 Cup squash, diced
-4 Basil leaves, cut chiffonade

*Both Ratatouille recipes called for red pepper and eggplant.  I did not have an eggplant, therefore, no eggplant, and I get heart burn from red pepper so I chose not to suffer.  If you choose to add these two items, add about a cup of each.

Begin by drizzling a little olive oil in a pan over medium high heat.


Dice the onion into 1/4 inch pieces.  Fry the onion in the oil for about 7-8 minutes.  Season with salt.


Add 1 tsp of garlic to the onion.  Fry for about 2-3 minutes.


Toss in your green peppers. 

Yes, mine are frozen.  And no, I did not have a full cup worth.  Don't judge.


Allow the green peppers to fry for about 3 minutes.  Anyone who at this point would seriously consider stopping right here and tossing all this on top of a hot dog, Italian sausage, or cheese steak, please come over my house right now.

And bring the meat with you.


If you decide to carry on with the recipe instead, add the cup of tomatoes and 1/2 cup of water.  


Sprinkle in the parsley.  Allow the tomatoes to cook for about five minutes.


Toss in one cup of zucchini,


one cup of yellow squash,


and the basil.


Sprinkle in a little salt,


and pepper.

Allow this to cook for 15-20 minutes.


Pop on the movie, "Ratatouille", and fast forward to the scene where the food critic, Anton Ego, is enjoying Remy's very own Ratatouille.

Then smile, and make the same pleased face he makes.


No comments:

Post a Comment