Friday, August 10, 2012

Onion Burgers

Recipe: Onion Burgers
Source: The Orange Strainer
Time: 30 minutes total 
Ease: 3
Taste: 3
Leftover Value: No leftovers*
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain!

*Not because it was incredibly awesome, but merely because I made four burgers and fed four people.


I love hamburgers.  Especially when done right.  I prefer a mild pink center, topped with cheddar cheese, lettuce, mayo, and loads of ketchup.  There's not enough ketchup if it isn't oozing from the sides of my bun.  

I confess, I'm a hot mess when I eat a hamburger.  But my belly is happy.

So I decided to try out my own burger. 


Here's what I used:
-1 lb ground beef
-1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
-dash of pepper
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 T onion soup mix

My logic was that since I use onion soup mix in my meatloaf (which I love love love), it would work well to flavor my burgers (wrong wrong wrong).


Start with a pound of ground beef.


Drizzle the Worcestershire sauce all over.


Add the salt.


Dash some pepper.


And the 2 T of onion soup mix.


Mix it all together with a spatula or get down and dirty and use your hands.  I wasn't in a down and dirty mood, so I used the spatula.


After mixing the meat and seasonings well, pat the meat down to an even level and divide it into four equal pieces.


Shape each piece into burgers.  I started by rolling them like a big meatball and then flattening them between my hands.

If you're noting right now that I should have just gone ahead, gotten down and dirty, and mixed the ingredients with my hands since I would have to eventually touch the meat anyway, just know that somewhere in my mind it made perfect sense.


After your patties are formed, melt a little butter in a skillet.


Brown both sides of the patty for about 2 minutes.  I probably could have taken them off at this point, but I let them cook on low for about 5 minutes more.  (This was a bad decision to make as I was not very happy with the color inside of them later on.  They lacked a great deal of pink that I desire).


Add a piece of cheese to each burger.  Fold the corners of the cheese over so they look as cute and neat as mine do.  Either keep the patties on the skillet another minute or two to allow the cheese to melt a little, or throw the burgers in a toaster oven set to "keep warm" as you start frying the remaining two patties.


Make sure you have lots of this.


And that next time you either make bigger burgers, or buy smaller kaiser rolls.


They weren't horrible, they just weren't the burgers I desired.

My goal will be to return one day with a better burger blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment