Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pancakes and Sour Cream?

Recipe: Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Time: 30 minutes total (includes cooking time)
Ease: 2
Taste: 5
Leftover Value: No leftovers
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain


It was not until I reached adulthood that I discovered the delight that is sour cream.  Growing up, the only thing I knew about sour cream was that it was an essential ingredient in my mom's chicken paprika.  We never used it for anything else.  However, once I realized it actually had other uses, suddenly quesadillas, nachos, and potato skins all made sense.

Still to this day I cannot understand what it is about sour cream that makes these things suddenly more wonderful than they are on their own.  I would never crave just sour cream (and I truly hope there is not a soul out there who does) but the thought of it spread on my potato skin or mixed with salsa on a meaty cheesy bite of nacho makes my mouth start to salivate.

I have recently learned though that sour cream is not the answer to improving all foods.

Because of my gained attraction to sour cream, the recipe for "sour cream pancakes" stood out.  And since on Monday I was stuck home waiting for Hurricane Sandy to hit, I decided to give them a try.

The fact that sour cream made up about half of the combined ingredients should have been a warning sign.  To be honest, it was but I had already started making the pancakes when I realized just how much sour cream was in them:

On one end of the scale we have: 1 cup of sour cream

On the other: Approximately 9 tablespoons of other ingredients and 2 eggs

The recipe yielded nine pancakes and they were very thin.  The taste was much lighter than your average Bisquick pancake.  The problem was, even though they were clearly cooked through they still had a very wet (not moist, wet) taste about them.

If that's what floats your boat, give them a try.  But for me, I'll stick with my sour cream free box of pancakes until something better comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment