Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Necessity of the Birthday Cupcake

In honor of my birthday, I decided it was time for a post that I have had stored up my sleeve for some time now.  Yesterday, on my other blog, Go Somewhere That's Green, I wrote about teaching and other school related musings.  One item I failed to mention, because goodness gracious I have such a love/hate relationship with it, was birthdays.  Being a September baby, I grew used to teachers never celebrating my birthday or realizing at the end of the day that they had forgotten it.  Even in high school it is a big deal to have your birthday celebrated.  So when in October that one elective teacher decides to be cute and start doing something special for her students' birthdays, the poor September baby rolls her eyes and carries on.  

Of course, in elementary school I helped them remember by bringing in cupcakes.      

20130613_124220

Ah, cupcakes.  The instant smile bringer in any classroom.

20130913_13032020130920_122001

At the mention of cupcakes, students who previously had their heads attached to their desks perk up, suddenly seemingly interested in everything happening in the classroom.  Eyes wander from the window to the door, hoping to be the first one to see the delivery of the promised cupcakes.

20130409_124121

The mood of the room has automatically shifted from students unable to learn due to afternoon tiredness to students unable to learn due to eagerness at the promise of sugar and freedom from their studies.

20131218_12023720130918_114946

Cupcakes are a terribly wonderfully tragic part of a teacher's life.

20130919_131229

For starters, the birthday student has been unable to contain their excitement for their birthday for at least the entire week preceding their birthday.*  I've had students in the past who reminded me every single day of their birthday month that their birthday was coming up--at the very end of the month.

*This may be more significant with younger students, however, I've known my share of middle and high schoolers who have gone berserk over their birthdays.

20131022_15213820131031_152133

Then that student eventually gets some of the more excitable students to get on board the crazy train for their birthday.  If you are in a classroom where an anything but basic calendar is used, naturally, birthdays are marked on the calendar.  For all to see.  So by the day of the student's birthday, the class is a wreck with excitement over the celebration and...of course, the cupcakes.  

20131211_143159

I have a difficult time refusing cupcakes from students.  Let's be honest, I have a difficult time refusing cupcakes from anyone.  Especially if the cupcake has that look of perfection that practically screams out, "I taste delicious!" 

20130607_12140020130606_114831

But I have a particularly difficult time refusing a cupcake from a student on their birthday.  It's even harder when they aren't one of my students.  I'm sure you've heard of the door to door cupcake student.  The one who desperately wants to get out of class on their birthday so they use their leftover cupcakes as a guise for why they need to leave the classroom.

And ten hands go up around the room of students who are suddenly their best friend and want to 'help' them deliver. 

20130524_122011

Yes, this is one of the parts of teaching that I will love to hate to miss.  There will be moments when I'll miss the delight of surprise treats, then moments when my thighs will scream out thanks for being able to fit into my skinny jeans comfortably again.

20130502_11472720130415_134445

Ultimately, I do truly love the birthday cupcake.  They are that momentary way a student, or anyone, can share their special day with others.  They are a silent, "Here's to me!" that can be easily passed out, and eagerly accepted by all.    

20130408_111401

If only I could give you all a cupcake today.

No comments:

Post a Comment