Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Little Goat Diner, Chicago, IL

SAM_0341

We have some over achievers among us.

I began searching for where we would eat while in Chicago possibly as far as a month beforehand.

But there's no shame in my game.

I like to eat, and I like to eat well. Scrambling to find somewhere amazing can end up a few different ways, ranging from okay to good to great to sometimes even amazing food, but it most certainly will always end up in my hunger demon making an appearance.

SAM_0408

Girl and the Goat jumped off the list of restaurant choices, and I knew it needed to be part of our Chicago dining plan. Only, when I went to make the reservation (a week in advance, for a Wednesday at 5:00 pm) they were booked.

Sign of a good restaurant choice right there.

I didn't want to pull my Giada card, so when Little Goat Diner came up as an alternate choice, I went with it. After looking over the website, and the obvious connection with the restaurant I had been dreaming about, I decided it would do.

Now that we've been there, I'm so glad Girl and the Goat had been booked.

SAM_0411

Little Goat Diner is the perfect place for not only a quick bite, but an extraordinarily flavorful bite. The menu spans breakfast, lunch, and dinner, all of which are served all day long (their hours are from 6 am to 2 am!). Even though I have a certain unexplainable love for everything breakfast at any time of the day, on this particular day I needed dinner.*

*But don't Crumpets (with chorizo maple syrup) sound divine? How about Bull's Eye French Toast (with bbq maple syrup)?

SAM_0416

Hubby ordered the Goat Chili Cheese Fries which I immediately dubbed as the table's appetizer. The fries were skinny, which sometimes can mean that they will be too dried out, but in the case of these fries it meant that there was a more cheese to goat to fry ratio.

SAM_0418

By the way, goat is my new favorite meat.

SAM_0424

Hubby and Joel both ordered the Goat Almighty burger. That's a goat burger, with braised beef (extra because they were out of the bbq pork that usually tops the beef), pickled jalapeƱos, salsa verde, onion rings, and cheddar cheese. I was pretty busy with my own meal, but I managed to snap a few pictures of their attempts at eating these gigantic burgers.

SAM_0427

SAM_0425

Mallory ordered the Veggie Chap Chae which consisted of fal veggies, tomato, goat feta, cashews all served over rice pasta. and I'm not going to lie, I wrinkled my nose at her non-meat choice, but when I tasted it I was blown away at the flavor combination.

SAM_0421

I ordered the Marinated Skirt Steak. Skirt steaks are slowly becoming my favorite cut of beef.* They are tender, thin, and go nicely with veggies, rice, or pasta. What really moved my dinner choice was the salted goat's milk caramel sauce that was poured over the meat. (I promise, there is a healthy serving of the sauce and meat underneath the abundance of greens you see.

*Don't worry filet minon, you will always have my heart.

Though the thought of eating more was inconceivable, somehow we managed to allow the thought to fester when handed the dessert menu. I couldn't resist the Little Goat Coffee, a latte made with goat's milk and love.

SAM_0431

We all shared a sundae, because who can resist a little vanilla gelato smeared with chocolate sauce and whipped cream?

I certainly can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment