Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Summer Must Have--Iced Coffee Concentrate

Recipe: Perfect Iced Coffee
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Time: 12-24 hours (yikes!)
Ease: 1
Taste: 10
Leftover Value: 10
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

Whenever I meet someone who doesn't drink coffee, I marvel at them as if they were a three legged monkey, wearing a tiny vest, and playing a bongo (Why that? I don't know....I haven't had my coffee yet today.  No wait, that's a lie.  Okay, I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet...).  

How on earth could anyone possibly live without coffee?!

I don't want to know, because it deeply saddens me.

Then there are those like my father who have been coffee drinkers forever, but can't get into the wonderful world that is iced coffee.

My heart cries for them as well.

When I learned how to make iced coffee concentrate, it revolutionized my life.  While I love going out for coffee, a regular old iced coffee is of such simplicity that if I can make it from home....I'm going to.

And it'll be the best darn iced coffee there is.


Cafe Bustelo helps to make that possible.  When making an iced coffee concentrate you want to pick a stronger coffee, and this variety fits the bill.


That pretty much sums it up.


This recipe is so simple, it should get a -1 for ease.

Put the coffee grinds (1 pound) into a large container.  In my case, that is a large stock pot.


Pour cold water (8 quarts) over the coffee grinds.


Mix the coffee grinds well into the water.  I've spared you the wild and crazy pictures of the liquid being stirred.  They were pretty trippy.


Throw a lid on it, and let it sit for 12-24 hours.  I always go for 24 hours just to bring out as much flavor and richness that I can from the coffee grinds.

*Note: This is the hardest part of this whole recipe and it merely relates to the amount of self-control you possess.

I also cover my pot with tin foil because I'm a little bit of a worry wort.  Not that the layer of tin foil is really protecting this pot any extra.  I just like to pretend that it does.


After you've waited patiently, put a fine mesh strainer on top of the pitcher you want the coffee to go in.


You can use cheesecloth, or I just use paper towels to catch the coffee grinds.


Take the lid off your coffee concentrate.

This must be how coffee got the name 'cup of mud'.  Trust me, it will be delicious even despite this picture and what is about to happen next.


If you make as much as the recipe calls for, you'll be doing this for a while.


And you may have to fill up more than one pitcher.

Most times I will cut the recipe in half.  However, I foresaw that I would need the full recipe since Hubby and I blew through a halved recipe by the middle of June.


The remaining dregs of coffee came out in a sort of sandy print.  I thought it was rather artistic, don't you think?


I also found a little humor in the looks of the paper towel wrapped coffee grinds.  Is it just me?

Yes?

Gosh, I hope not.

Let the iced coffee concentrate cool in the fridge.  It will last a few months there (that is, if you don't chug through it sooner).

Making an iced coffee with this is a science.  You can't just toss some ice and milk in and be done.

No.


Starbucks syrups are staples in my kitchen for my homemade coffees.

They make my life sweeter than sweet.
  

Pump in 2-4 pumps of your choice of syrup.  I usually choose 'Classic' but if I'm feeling a little daring I'll throw in 'Vanilla'.  If you like your coffee sweeter, do at least 4 pumps.  If you like a little jolt to your sips, stick with two, like I do.


Fill your cup about three quarters of the way with small chunks of ice.


Pour in your preferred milk just under the ice line.

If I'm being completely honest with you, like I always am, sometimes, just every so often, I will splash in a little half and half on top to make life a little more interesting.

I'm bad like that.


Top off the milk with iced coffee concentrate.  Fill to the top of the glass or until the mixture reaches your preferred coffee color.

There are tons of ways to mix this up.  Add a spoonful of sweetened condensed milk (totally fatty, but totally delicious).  Top with caramel.  Mix in chocolate syrup.  The possibilities are endless.


No comments:

Post a Comment