Friday, July 19, 2013

Mock Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

Recipe: Butter Crescents
Source: Great American Home Baking Recipe Card #4, but you can find it here:
http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_2/2007/NOV/21766.html
Time: 2 1/2 hrs, includes time for rising and baking
Ease: 6
Taste: 5
Leftover Value: Would love to tell you, but Hubby threw the leftovers away
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain!

I hate rating recipes "Down the Drain", but after all, that is one of the main purposes of this blog.  To try out recipes and let you know how they tasted, if they were good leftover, and if I would ever make them again.  If I hadn't been bold enough to rate this one 'Down the Drain' hubby's reaction would have made it happen.


If we were rating them on looks though, they'd certainly pass. 


There were a lot of separate bowls needed for this recipe, something that I cannot stand.  I'm a big fan of one pot/bowl/pan recipes.  It makes my cooking experience so much the opposite of what it was last night: a clutter of chaos and screams of, "Why me?" 

Let's not talk about that.

What's worse about the above picture is that the mixture in my mixer (say that ten times fast: "The Mixture in my mixer...The Misher in my mizer, yeah I can't even do it twice) had to be heated on the stove top first.


Letting dough rise is one of the moments in the kitchen that truly tests my patience.  I know how important it is to allow it to rise, but waiting an hour for it to happen is asking a bit much.


What makes the whole rising process worthwhile is getting to punch the dough.  I love punching dough.  I should always keep some on hand in my fridge so that I can pull it out and punch it whenever I get frustrated.

But that rarely happens....

Wait....can you actually see my fist in that lump of dough?


This recipe had the audacity to then have me separate the dough and let it 'rest' for ten more minutes.  I can't honestly say I waited the full ten minutes.


This part was fun and reminded me a lot of making scones, another long, tedious, but delicious, process.


After flattening the dough into a circle, which mine surprisingly resembled, it is cut into six wedges.  My wedges seemed rather large to me...especially the one in the center of this picture which is clearly double the size of the two next to it.  If I was going to do this recipe again, I would either roll my circle thinner and cut more than six wedges, or split the dough into four circles instead of two.
  

Once you have the wedges, you roll the dough just like Pillsbury crescents are rolled.


And then, God forbid it finally be time to cook these bad boys, they need to sit for thirty minutes!  THIRTY minutes, people!


My impatience aside, the taste is truly why I will not make these rolls again.  Hubby ate one, but found the consistency to be too thick.  For a recipe which claims they are "melt-in-your-mouth" crescents, I found them to be more "stick-to-your-ribs" crescents.  Not that bread of that sort is a bad thing.  I love a good hunk of heavy bread and butter, but, not when I'm expecting light and airy.

I was willing to overlook this issue, since the next time I'd make them I would go into it with the knowledge that they would not be the Pillsbury Crescent Rolls that I'd expected.  However, when I thought long and hard about it (this was somewhere around the time that Hubby threw the nine leftover rolls in the trash) I realized that I can make a loaf of bread in my bread maker, that tastes much better, in the same amount of time and with a thousand less steps.

My conclusion therefore is, just buy the can.  If I find something else better along the way, I'll let you know.  I'm not sure any amount of effort can beat hitting a can with a spoon, popping it open, rolling the dough out, and then putting it in the oven to bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment