Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Skinny BBQ Salmon

Recipe: BBQ Salmon
Source: Cook Yourself Thin Faster
Time: 20 minutes
Ease: 1
Taste: 7
Leftover Value: No leftovers!
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

I don't ordinarily do the seafood cooking in our house.  The closest thing to seafood I ate growing up was fish sticks, so for starters, it is a foreign world to me.  In terms of cooking in general, it took a good year into our marriage for me to finally feel comfortable cooking chicken, something I ate frequently growing up, so you can imagine my fears of cooking seafood.

Those of you laid back, 'what's the problem?', type people, here is the problem.  Raw food.  Raw food smells strange, has a slimy texture, and constant warnings are made of what will happen if you should eat it.  When my hands have to touch and work with something of that nature, my mind goes a little wild.

But those are my problems, not yours.

Lucky for you.

As I've stated before, hubby lost quite a lot of weight.  I have been trailing behind him, and in my trailing I have been  looking for lighter recipes to use for dinner.  I found the "Cook Yourself Thin" and "Cook Yourself Thin Faster" books on a deep discount at Barnes and Noble and decided to buy them both.  This choice was mostly based on zucchini pasta that I saw in one of the books and was obsessively interested in.  It really was nothing based on the titles, because "Cook Yourself Thin Faster" confuses me just a little too much.  If I'm already cooking myself thin, I can't imagine how I could do that any faster.

Perhaps my thoughts are too limited.

The simplicity of the recipe is what gave me the guts to go ahead and try cooking salmon.  I know, it really shouldn't have been that big of an issue for me, but it was. 

All the ingredients, except for the salmon, are heated together in a small saucepan for five minutes.


I thought it made a very artistic picture.  We have the deep brown color of soy sauce and maple syrup in the background, swirled with the bright yellow of mustard, the island in the middle of the pot is non other than ketchup, which is sprinkled with the brown of cumin and the fiery red of chile powder.  A little garlic has made its way onto the island, while yet another clump has decided to try to cool waters of the mustard pool.

Sorry, that was the best way for me to incorporate that picture into this post.

After the mixture cooked, it was set aside to cool.  

The recipe said to either grill or cook the salmon in the oven.  Of course, hubby bought me a grill pan for my stove top after I made this, and I rebelliously didn't want to cook it the way the recipe said to in the oven, so I used my broiling pan instead.


It turned out pretty good.  The recipe says that the syrup "provides a rich sweetness" but it was just a little too rich for this pauper.  Next time I plan to use a little less syrup and just a pinch more of cumin. I served it with white rice (sorry, I still can't bring myself to make the healthy brown rice I have in my pantry) and kale.


No comments:

Post a Comment