Sunday, May 19, 2013

Diet Book Recipes Can Be Tasty

Recipe: Chile-Peppered Steak
Source: The Abs Diet Book/Cookbook
Time: 45 minutes
Ease: 2
Taste: 7
Leftover Value: 7
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Keep it in the Strainer!

In college, Hubby became obsessed with working out, staying fit, and something called the Abs Diet.  Then we got married and he slowly, unconsciously drifted away from it.  Five years later we both found ourselves heavier than when we first met, and a little disappointed with ourselves.

After a little effort taken, Hubby recently lost 30+ pounds and I lost 13.  More on that later over at Go Somewhere That's Green.

Hubby really started to buckle down on his working out and eating healthier due to a little game called "The Biggest Loser" that his work was playing.  Perhaps you've heard of it?

Again, more on that later.

Hubby's updated life choice vicariously involved me.  My role was to help out by making dinners that were a little more losing weight friendly.

I do not love this, but I do recognize its importance in connection with the want to lose weight.

I went back to the Abs Diet book that Hubby had bought for me when he had started his Abs Diet kick in college.  (Yes, he bought a book for himself and the women's version for me, isn't he adorably sweet?)

In the book, they have a chapter devoted to the Abs Diet meal plan which includes a slew of recipes.  Some are for the birds (Italian meatballs made with only saltines and onions? Bleh!!) while others, like today's recipe, were shockingly satisfying.


The recipe is uncomplicated, yet savory.  Calling for a handful of veggies: including broccoli, carrots, jalapeno, and cayenne peppers, olive oil, lean sirloin steak, and Hunan stir-fry sauce the time saving factor added with the healthiness factor makes this recipe one that is certainly for my favorites file.

*Note: I don't actually have a favorites file.  I wish I did.  That would be super organized of me.

The steps are as basic as throw some rice on, chop up your veggies, slice the meat, then toss it all in the frying pan.

I did make a few substitutions only because I could not find cayenne peppers at the supermarket and Hunan stir-fry sauce is still a mystery to me.

*Note: Substitutions make my head spin.  Whenever I make a recipe for the first time, I stick to it religiously.  If I don't, I'm convinced it will turn out horribly.

*Note to the note: Thanks for listening to my issues.

Instead of the fresh cayenne peppers, I sprinkled in a pinch of cayenne pepper spice.  I substituted the Hunan stir-fry sauce with General Tso's stir-fry sauce.  My reasoning was they both have "stir-fry sauce" in their names so it would work.  I'm sure I'll later find out that they are exactly the same thing which in any case  just proves my reasoning to be solid.


The white rice* helped to balance the tiny bite that the chile-peppered steak had.  As a documented wimp to anything overly spicy, I avoided the jalapeno peppers and just let them become a garnish for my plate.

*Note: Yes, this healthy recipe called for brown rice to be served instead of white.

*Note to the note: I like white rice.  It tastes better.  Brown rice tastes like dirt.

Glad that's settled.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment