Thursday, December 20, 2012

Bruchetta Chicken

Recipe: Bruschetta Chicken
Source: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/04/bruschetta-chicken/
Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Ease: 2
Taste: 4
Leftover Value: 6 (The bruschetta kept well overnight)
Down the Drain or Keep in the Strainer: Down the Drain!

This recipe made me blurt out Jim Carrey's first truth from the movie, "Liar Liar".

I've had better. 

And yes, just like Carrey's character I also had to question myself after making that statement.

I've had better?!

How, in all that is holy and pure, can any recipe louse up bruschetta?  Unfortunately, truth is truth people.  And I'll tell you nothing but the truth here.


The best part of this recipe was something that really can't be messed up: the tomatoes.  Okay, perhaps they can be messed up.  If you pick out a carton that has mushy gushy tomatoes, then your bruschetta might suffer right off the bat.

However, I meticulously turned, shook, and rolled the pints of tomatoes until I was completely satisfied with the two I purchased.


What I have determined to be the overall problem with this recipe is the lack of ingredients.  Sure, I'll admit, that when I find a recipe with less than five ingredients my heart jumps for joy and suddenly, no matter what the recipe entails, I am convinced it will be the easiest meal ever.

Here's what was needed:

Tomatoes
Garlic
Basil
Oil
Balsamic vinegar

I imagine that the quantity of the said ingredients may have also had an effect on the flavor (but I couldn't imagine putting in more than the five cloves of garlic and 16 basil leaves this recipe already called for).

Despite the fact that going into this recipe I saw five ingredients and thought of a few things I would personally want to add to it, I had to follow the unexplained notion I have to always follow a recipe exactly as it is written my first time through.


In the end, this recipe simply tasted like plain chicken topped with tomatoes.  While the tomatoes themselves were perfect, the recipe was not authentic bruschetta.  Therefore I have to say I've had, and made, better.

No comments:

Post a Comment